Saturday 25 July 2015

Will we ever catch up?

In life, it's quite difficult to be completely objective, because no matter how hard we try it is near impossible to detach ourselves from things that impact our lives. When we browse magazines we think about whether we like or dislike the dress or shoes, when we see pictures of travel we immediately link it to our adventures &/or whether it's on the bucket list or not, novels we imagine how the story might unfold if we were the novelist or a character. Be in a fleeting thought, an opinion or an action, most people automatically make a link and indirectly or not, relate ourselves & our situation. For me, TV series & movies are no different. 

I have been watching a great series called Oprhan Black which is a sci-fi thriller I guess. It is interesting, fast paced and has got me thinking, but also feeling a bit frustrated. Essentially, it is a story about humans clones and loosely explores the science about their creation and existence. I know this is fictional and I'm aware my imagination has strayed far from the storyline, but the fact cloning humans is not unimaginable has left me wondering where I stand in this world of modern science and medicine.

 

If you think how big of a feat cloning would be, and that it has already happened with Dolly the sheep, and god knows what else, I find it almost incomprehensible that there is not more that can be done for my illness or anyone else's for that matter. How is it that we are so far advanced in some aspects of science, yet so many people continue to live their lives struggling and suffering without a cure or even ease of access to treatments?  Does this seem as frustrating and ludicrous to you as it does me? 

I feel like the difficulty today with medical science is there are so many areas and conditions and illnesses that need attention, research and funding to improve the outcome that it is impossible to get to all of these. There is also all of this undiscovered and constantly evolving science, like cloning, that holds a place for future generation which we cannot ignore. Foremost, the life threatening conditions are where I believe science should be focused on, but in an ideal world it would be great to see the life altering illnesses get some research and interest too. 
As someone with a stubborn personality and having more than one life altering condition, I am always looking for the next piece of the unknown puzzle. I wait to read the next medical journal or research to be released because they could offer me something new, but truthfully the wait is long and slow and often not groundbreaking. There just isn't enough time, money, manpower and research to go around and it is nothing less than a real shame.



So whilst I binge on my new favourite fictitious TV show about clones and overthink everything in my nerdy way, I can't help wonder how and when will humans ever catch up with medical science to a point where there are solutions and answers to human medical mysteries. Probably just a distant dream or fantasy, but then it was probably just a dream to clone something too...

No comments:

Post a Comment