Monday 4 May 2015

The unwanted anniversary

Sometimes I wonder if there is some weird,  Higher allocation system or if it's plain bad luck that I landed here in this hot mess of chronic illness...

Today marks a bitter & unpleasant day. It was this date in 2010 that I was first admitted to hospital with crazy symptoms & no idea what was going on. I had no idea that I would then not leave the hospital for over 3years, instead remain unwell & stuck inside the four walls of hospital trying to get function and my life back.

If someone had told me that this day was going to be the start of my long & very difficult health journey I would've laughed & not thought this possible. Weeks before I was playing netball, flying interstate for 21st bdays & studying to become a doctor...there was no way things could go so drastically wrong so fast.
How wrong I was!!

Here I am now years on and still battling each day to better myself & rebuild a life I want to live . I'm definitely not one to say that I'm happy this has happened to me, as I do not appreciate this life lesson and would've been 110% fine without this experience.  However, I have definitely learnt much about myself & my surroundings throughout this. I have also met some amazing people & been humbled by those who have stood up to support me during my toughest times, & so for those aspects I am grateful.

So this day marks a new year on my journey & another year I vow to try my hardest to keep fighting and stay focused on my goals. I have already spent some months in hospital this year but I pray that there will be no long admissions in my future. My condition will never go away, but I have faith that there has to be more for me than where I'm at now. Quitting is not an option - regaining the life I want to live is the only priority. 💪


2 comments:

  1. Love you - what a ride! You still amaze me everyday on how you stay so positive and always care so much about what is going on in other peoples lives. You are one in a million xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, I am so sorry that dates like these exist in our calendars. I wish you so many other, happier anniversaries in the years to come. I agree, there is no such thing as "I needed to learn this life lesson" to the awful things that happen in life. But thank goodness we do learn things or it would be a really boring ride. You have a good brain and a good heart, a great family and friends and everything to fight for. Hang in there girl! You have so much to offer the world!

    ReplyDelete